Friday, March 21, 2014

Its all about Perspective

Hearing words like 'perspective', 'value' or 'depth' really freaks me out. I've never been of a technical bent of mind. Let's say, I prefer the bigger picture; I'm a macro person. So, the art pundits all talk about these terms as sacred cows. It scares the bejesus out of me.

I think just by engaging in daily practice of art gives me an opening to discover what these terms mean in reality. It is helpful to read  up on them before you start. That's for sure. But you know, breaking your head over getting  it right, struggling to understand technicalities, doesn't work. At least for me.

There's this whole debate about whether you should be going to art school in order to call yourself an artist. I think back to when I had to own up to my inner writer. Did I have to go through an MFA in writing to call myself a writer? Nope. I don't believe you can't self-learn, specially these days with easy access to libraries and the Internet.

So, today's painting was about the dreaded perspective. I think I did get the effect I wanted. I've called it 'Path through the corn field'.


No comments:

Post a Comment